Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:47 AM   #1081
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathander View Post
"What are you talking about? They've provided you with countless hours of free entertainment. If anything, YOU owe THEM!" - Bart Simpson
To be honest, I've always had a slight problem with that quotation, because Bart's assumption that the entertainment you see on TV comes entirely free is, as far as I can see, just plain wrong. I mean, you've got to actually pay for the purchase of the TV set in the first place. Then there's the matter of paying a monthly TV lisence, satellite subscriptions, electricity bills to keep it running, etc, etc. It's also a good idea to have invested in some kind of decent home security system, in order to protect your TV from potential burglars who might want to pinch it, and then when your set inevitably breaks down at some point throughout its lifetime, you'll have done well to set a little money aside in order to keep the repairman happy. All in all it stikes me as being a pretty costly business. They did go for a pretty similar statement in the early stages of the Simpsons Movie, and for the reasons stated above, I didn't find it terribly convincing. Frankly, I think that an evening out at the cinema would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, BTW. I just find that particular quotation a bit questionable.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.

Last edited by jekylljuice; 03-03-2008 at 08:19 AM.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #1082
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekylljuice View Post
I'm thinking now that it may be a problem with my RAM, since Windows Movie Maker isn't the only thing that's being affected. I'm currently embarking upon a massive clean-out to get rid of as many excess or unwanted films and programmes as I can, but if that doesn't make a difference, looks like I might have to be prepared to shell out a little for some additional memory.
I've been doing the same thing, cleaning out my hard drive. It's amazing how much unused junk can accumulate in there. I'm presently down to 39 GB, a little over a third of which is Sims-related. As for additional memory, I doubled the RAM on all three of my machines last year; it did nothing for my laptop and not much for my main system, but it did my old computer a world of good.

Quote:
People Who Don't Understand They Have Lesser Opinions:

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion, understand that I agree completely with that. However, not everyone's opinion is equal; some are more valid and, thus, worth more than others. Not all opinions are equal in their validity.
Agreed. There are a lot of opinions and ideas out there that are, at best, worthless. However, what does one use as the criteria when making such a judgement? Logic and reason seem to me to be the best options here. Unfortunately, too many people are willing to twist these beyond recognition and distort or even manufacture evidence in support of whatever position they've decided is pleasing to them. It can get pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
My Co-Workers and Customers:

I have a hard time putting up with my co-workers and the people who shop at my store. The majority of them seem to be genuinely unable to use any form of logic in doing anything, and, that being the case, I have a hard time bringing myself to help them and do so only because it's required by my job.
You have my sympathy, and I don't even work retail. The customer is always right? Oh, please. When I shop I try to go in, find what I want, pay for it, and get out without giving the workers a hard time. Granted, it's their job to help me out, and I don't have a problem asking for assistance when needed, but unlike some people I express my appreciation afterwards. It's only right. If I can leave them with a smile when I'm done, so much the better.

Quote:
Fans Who Feel Show Writers/Creators Owe Them:

"What are you talking about? They've provided you with countless hours of free entertainment. If anything, YOU owe THEM!" - Bart Simpson

That's pretty much how I feel on the matter. Personally, I believe that fans should have NO say on how a series progresses or how it works, as they can only make things worse. The fans are free to have opinions, but in no way should the creators or writers of a series feel indebted to their fans.
While it's unlikely, it is not impossible for a fan to come up with a brilliant idea for a segment or story that would work for a given show. It certainly hasn't happened with Foster's, but it is not impossible. Otherwise I guess I pretty much agree with you here.

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.

Last edited by Cassini90125; 06-03-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #1083
Howard
Desert Rat

Only the best!  

Everything ticks me off today, and because it is Monday either! everything seems to have been dropped on me at once!
Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:14 AM   #1084
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

McDonalds'... They freaking UNDERcooked their Hash Browns the other day. I still fell a bit sick from them.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #1085
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Shows that are directed in MUCH too "edgy" a fashion. It's extremely hard to actually watch a program when every second and a half the camera cuts to a closeup of something/someone, there's a flash of light, and the soundtrack goes BOWM! Just now I was trying to watch some Discovery Channel show called "I Shouldn't Be Alive" which ought to be an interesting program about people who survived dangerous situations, but who can even watch it?? There's another show I would otherwise enjoy on Discovery Health, I think it's "Mystery Diagnosis" in which half the show is closeups of the person recounting that part of the story - closeups of one eye, the eye closes, and there's dramatic music. THAT'S IT. That is ALL the director does, is have closeups of one of the person's eyes, the eye closes, dramatic music. What kind of director gets to work on a show if they're such a massive one-trick drama pony?? I've never directed anything in my life and I could do better. -_-
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #1086
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

I'm guessing that most of you have heard of "Airborne", a mixture of vitamins and herbs, including an unhealthy level of Vitamin A, who's creators made the ridiculous claim that it could cure, prevent, or reduce the duration of colds. Today, they got what they deserved:

http://biz.yahoo.com/cnnm/080304/030...ment.html?.v=2

Frankly, I think they should have been forced to publicly admit that they lied about what their product can do. And in my mind it underscores why science education is so important; anyone with even a little knowledge of biochemistry would have left this useless product to gather dust on the store shelf. It also reminds me that the government needs to rein in the advertising and pharmacutical industries and rein them in hard. Enough is enough with the lies and deceptions designed to part people from their hard-earned money in exchange for worthless and sometimes hazardous products.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #1087
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

uh. I've been taking that stuff for years, and I never thought it was supposed to cure or prevent colds, I thought it was just vitamins. Interesting that the case will be tried near me though.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #1088
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
As long as they don't find out that you're the one who did it. Then you'd be the one paying.
Then they'd get to meet the overpriced, vicious woman I refer to as my attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partymember View Post
please be sure to fill us in on what goes down
The inspector arrived about 90 minutes ago as I type this. If the rent goes up because of this, well, I guess some of the residents will have to cut back on the drugs and alchohol. Golly gee whiz, I feel so bad for them and Management.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 AM   #1089
Partymember
super-scientist

GO TEAM VENTURE!  

hehehe, sounds good
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #1090
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassini90125 View Post
Then they'd get to meet the overpriced, vicious woman I refer to as my attorney.

The inspector arrived about 90 minutes ago as I type this. If the rent goes up because of this, well, I guess some of the residents will have to cut back on the drugs and alchohol. Golly gee whiz, I feel so bad for them and Management.

Ha-Ha! You winzorz.

And concerning Airborne, whenever I get a cold I always up my Vitamin C intake the natural way: Citrus. Eating a few lemon slices clears your sinuses quite nicely.