Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Default Any kitbashers out there?

Well I'm finally beating this awful fever, cold, headache monster I had for the past week and I finally feel well enough to type again. So my question is "Do any you here "Kitbash"?". Kitbashing is the hobby of modifying an existing figure (toys usually) and making it your own or simply touching it up.
I'm still new to the hobby myself. I mainly just work with new Transformers figures and repaint them into updated versions of my old favorites from the 80's. I've only completed two projects so far but I do have more that I should really get started on. If I ever get my hands on a digital camera then I'll be sure to let you guys see some of my work.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

I've done some repaints in my time, and once I repainted a Megavolt figure and also added some wires for his hair and whiskers. The most complex custom I've done so far is my Swift Wind. I've also customised plushes, like my Spirit. I may have done others and forgotten them.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Ah Swiftwind. My sister would love to have something like that. So what kind of paints do you find yourself using? I did a lot of research before I got into this stuff before I finally settled on Testors and Model Master paints.
Some people swear on spray paints but I'm pretty hesitant to use that stuff. I'm afraid I may asphyxiate myself with it.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

So far I've had no problems with acrylics, but then I haven't done much, nor have I expected my stuff to receive any wear and tear. Testors is probably good, I've also heard automobile paints work well (the canned type, not the spray). Auto paints are recommended for painting arrows (yeah I make arrows, or I used to) as well. It's durable and very lightweight, and cheaper than the stuff people sell specifically for painting arrows.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Paint does seem to be a finicky thing depending who you ask. I've steered clear of enamel's because I've been told that they actually dissolve plastics. Many people say that is something you don't want to happen while others say it actually works better than acrylics.
I still need to go out and get some sealant for my figures. The problem is that I'd have to take several layers of dust off before I apply it. I'm going to have to look into some decals of some kind. Stickers may be the best bet for my skill level (or lack there of).
Old 02-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
Ub3rD4n
Foster's Legend

40% pretention, 60% insecurity, 0% brains  

Location: The only place more isolated than Iceland. New Zealand

Well, once I StumbleUpon'd (TM) a webpage of a guy who made an emormous Warhammer 40k "miniature" titan out of a Mr Potato-Head. It looked awesome.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

I guess you can call my improvements upon the Wilt figurines from McDonald's and Burger King "kit-bashing", since I changed them to look more like Wilt actually does, using Testor's enamel paints, and on one, an actual plastic "googly" eye, just like Wilt's "wonky" blind left eye. I've never had a problem using Testor's enamels on plastics, but acrylics will chip and fade and become very dull. Oh, yeah-I had this figurine of a dog once; I think it was supposed to have been a Dalmatian, and I touched it up to look like a Catahoula Leopard Dog, so I guess that counts, too.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #8
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I have no doubt that the googly eye did wonders for that toy. And I'll have remember about your success with enamels and look into experimenting with them in the future. If they really aren't trouble and save me from chipping than I'm in!