Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Way Off Topic

Notices

Way Off Topic For non-Foster's-related *discussions* (not spam). Posts that are religious, sexual, or political in nature will be heavily moderated. Please keep it clean!

Old 06-23-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Sparky
Undisputed Ruler of Terrencania

Am not Slave-O-Matic! Am Johnny Five!  

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky
Unhappy Poor Kiwi

Just a thread to say, Kiwi is having some problems right now. This is her third year going through laying eggs (2006 thread, 2007 thread) and she was doing fine (in fact I took the eggs out this morning and that should have run its course). But then Sunday morning she had suddenly plucked her chest, her crop was totally bald. She wasn't listless or acting sick or anything though. And then this morning she'd moved to her back and the spot above her preen gland is all red from chewing. I don't think it's a stress-related thing, I think she may have a skin irritation or allergy of some kind. The earliest vet appointment I could get for her is NEXT Monday.

She's totally happy and eating well, playing and cuddling like normal. She's just...itchy. I'm cleaning up her cage and everything, checking for mites and stuff (haven't seen anything so far), and I got some kind of spray to soothe her skin I'll try tomorrow I guess. I just hope this isn't a big deal and that she doesn't have anything contagious, because if she's actually sick I won't be able to board her when we go to Comic-Con (I guess I'll have to take her to my dad's, a full hour away).

So...yeah. My poor Kiwi. I'm really worried about her right now.

Last edited by Sparky; 06-23-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
Ridureyu
Permanent Resident

Send a message via AIM to Ridureyu

Pets are absolutely wonderful family members.

It could be that the hormonal change from egg-laying gave her an allergy? Have there been any changes in her environment or diet? Anything that might cause a small irritation but has inflamed?
Old 06-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Sparky

Send a message via ICQ to Sparky Send a message via AIM to Sparky Send a message via MSN to Sparky Send a message via Yahoo to Sparky

Nothing that I can think of, unless its parasites. I guess I just have to wait until the doctor does some tests. Unless it really is just nerves/stress. It's a mystery right now.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Lynnie
Lady of Brightwood

Dream maker, wherever you're going I'm going your way  

Location: The Emerald City, in the Evergreen State, where everything is GREEN
Send a message via MSN to Lynnie Send a message via Yahoo to Lynnie

Poor Kiwi. I hope she feels better soon. My guess too is the hormonal changes. How old is she? I'm wondering if the hormones are becoming more potent with age or something. Either way though, I hope the doctor is able to find out what's wrong and she'll be ok. And hope she fares well until then, too.

Feel better Birdie!
Lynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Sparky

She'll be 11 in August.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
One Radical Dude
Big Insensitive Jerkface

Still Awesome  

Poor Kiwi. Here's hoping that her condition improves.

Visit these pages: Facebook, Twitter, Google+
One Radical Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #7
pitbulllady
Co-Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
Pets are absolutely wonderful family members.

It could be that the hormonal change from egg-laying gave her an allergy? Have there been any changes in her environment or diet? Anything that might cause a small irritation but has inflamed?

I was thinking the exact same thing. I know that many female dogs experience skin irritation that results in itching and hair loss either during their heat cycle, or while pregnant or nursing; Pit Bull Terriers are notorious for this, and it's not uncommon for a female APBT to go nearly bald by the time her pups are weaned, making people who don't know better think that the dog is being abused, but it's just hormones, as you said. I've even had female SNAKES(especially King Snakes, for some reason)who will develop little bumps or pustules under their scales right after laying eggs, for no apparent reason, so I've got to suspect hormones there, too. I DO know that many bird species deliberately pluck their breast feathers during the breeding season, to both line the nest with, and to expose a "brood patch" for incubating eggs, but I've never bred parrots, so I'm just making an educated guess on that one.

pitbulllady
pitbulllady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #8
Mac-a-lacka
Equus Reptilicus

Lance Armstrong, eat your heart out.  

Get well soon, Kiwi.

Mac-a-lacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

Here's hoping that Kiwi's all right, Sparky. I know nothing about birds but it is flea and tick season. Fingers crossed that its nothing serious.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
jekylljuice
Executive Weasel Ball

jekylljuice was here.  

Indeed, poor Kiwi. I really hope that she'll be back to her old self before very long. In the meantime, she'll be in my thoughts.

That's it,
The End,
But you'll get over it,
My Friend.
jekylljuice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kiwi, parrot