Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community  

Go Back   Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community > Other > Other Entertainment

Notices

Other Entertainment Discuss other television programs as well as movies, music, books, comic books, games, etc.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow
Default Favorite Horror movies

With this being Halloween and all, i figured it'd be the ideal thread to start. Name as many or as few of your favorite horror movies that you have liked. They don't necessarily HAVE to be ones that scared you. Many people are harder to scare these days so just any horror movie you enjoy be it scary or not.

Mine are a mix of ones I love for enjoyment and others cause they TOTALLY freaked me out when I saw em:

Dawn of the Dead (remake)
Salem's Lot
Jeepers Creepers
The Grudge
The Ring
The Descent
Wes Craven's: They
Final Destination
30 Days of Night
John Carpenter's The Thing
In the Mouth of Madness
28 Weeks later
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
fosters home fan
(.¯??¯)

Yes?  

Cool AAAAAAAA!

Don't forget "The Exorcist" and "Child's Play".

Last edited by fosters home fan; 10-28-2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: WILT SMILEY!
fosters home fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Cassini90125
The Postmaster

Love gives you courage that's stronger than anything!  

Horror isn't really my thing, aside from occasional visits to DA. If I had to pick the movies from that genre that I enjoyed, these would be my choices:

The Shining
Psycho
Rosemary's baby
The Ring
The Blair Witch Project
Final Destination
Alien

While that last one is a sci-fi movie I really felt that it had a strong horror atmosphere to it, so I included it here.

Let's see some discussion here so this doesn't turn into a "List" thread, m'kay?

"Frankie! That weird kid is using a flower pot for a cup!"

Sailor Moon. Best Anime EVER.
Cassini90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM   #4
AerostarMonk
Holy Toledo!

Just try to relax and I'll try not to steal from you.  

Send a message via AIM to AerostarMonk Send a message via MSN to AerostarMonk Send a message via Yahoo to AerostarMonk

I would classify Alien as a horror movie despite its sci-fi trappings. The movie itself seems most reminiscent of a haunted house film, complete with boogeyman. However the sci-fi elements elevated the movie so far beyond that it transcends both genres. One can even go so far as to say it's even beyond your mere sci-fi/horror film.
From the highest wire
We walk through fire
Should our balance ever falter
Should our steps be unaligned
AerostarMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Medikor
Robot Master

I'm a bubble man!  

I usually try to avoid horror movies. But the movies I've seen that I could probably put in this category are Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and the original King Kong.
These two movie's, while not horrors as much as they are adventures or epics, always manage to fill me with a sense of urgency and dread. The crude and olden time effects also give them a rougher and primal feel that modern movie effects just can't emulate.
I haven't really seen any actual Halloween themed movies, but I am going to try and watch Nosferatu in the next few days or so.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
Mr. Marshmallow
Not-So-Hopeless Romantic

Gotta love being in love  

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Marshmallow

Alien i would definitely consider a horror movie. There are so many elements of extreme fear in that movie, and the down right hideous and freaky design of the alien monsters are easily horror material. Most of the horror classics like Exorcist, The "dead" movies, and Halloween movies I expected to be on here.

For me, the scariest movies i have ever come across would be the American Japanese remake movies. I have seen only 2 pure Japanese horror movies, Pulse and One Missed Call and while they were both very creepy (especially Pulse), being an American I could truly feel the fear from the 2 American remakes.

The Ring in particular. The movie is spectacularly well made, in acting, imagery, and the music (or lack there of hence the CREEP factor). The whole thing with the TV set makes imagining the movie all the more easier to picture it happening in your house. The TV just turning itself on is an easy and eerie thing to imagine.

The Grudge also was so dark and mysterious, how this thing just appeared and took you away to Never, Neverland was disturbing. What made it worse was the fact this ghost was virtually impossible to fight again. Btw, what's wrong with a list thread, haven't there been some made in here before?
Mr. Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Zeitgheist
At Home
It's not enough to succeed! Others must fail...  

I don't like horror movies

NOT THAT I'M SCARED OR ANYTHING Scared? Scared. Scared? Scared. Scared? Me? No. Scared? Scared. Scared? I have a nightlight. That doesn't qualify my scaredyness. Scared? Scared. Scared? Right.

Last edited by Zeitgheist; 10-30-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Zeitgheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #8
Mulch
Blegh

DOO KDLO PXOFK  

For some reason I just had to edit my avatar cheaply before posting here.

I do like horror movies, but slashers are sort of unsatisfying to me. I saw the remake of House of Wax and hated it; for me there needs to be a reason for the villains killing the people unless the killers are some sort of monsters. That movie was just mindless gore, just these brothers making people into wax statues for absolutely no reason. Just stupid.

As for my favourites, the list will be quite short, since I have seen far less horror films than I'd like to. *Ahem*

Alien: Fantastic movie, just really creepy. The score is magnificent, sort of mystic and adds up to the eerie tones of the film. You sort off feel uncomfortable watching the shots inside the spaceship, it feels crowded even though it's pretty empty. And when there's no one left alive but Ripley, it gets so thrilling that you can't hold on any longer. I can see why people fled the movie theaters. Still, I find Aliens more enjoyable, but I felt that was more of an action movie.

Dawn of the Dead (Remake; Director's Cut): I haven't seen the original, but this is a truly enjoyable zombie movie. Of course I wouldn't have made it through it without all the humorous scenes, like the zombie-shooting game. But the whole idea of a group of people trapped in a mall with zombies everywhere around them is a very likeable one, very good setting for a zombie movie. I like the parody, Shaun of the Dead, a bit better, though. I'm really into horror parodies, like those Simpsons Halloween specials or such.

That pretty much sums it up, I guess. (Told you it'd be short.) I would love to see more horror movies, I'm desperate to see The Shining, for instance. Also, I'd put on Beetlejuice, but that doesn't count as a horror movie, it's more like a dark comedy, and doesn't have any gore in it, just a little bit of gross-out humor. Well, that's my list ...for now! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

(OFF- TOPIC EDIT: Man, this post is terrible! I mean, it's just so incredibly stupid that... uh... something. It's mainly my random reference to Beetlejuice that gets on my nerve. Ugh!)

Last edited by Mulch; 03-07-2009 at 04:43 PM.
Mulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Invader Bloo
Elder Spam

Teh Merc with teh Mouth  

Predator.
I don't see why people count it as a horror, I count it as action.

I'm not really into horrors, they've use the same stuff since Alien.

Invader Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
Subzeroace
Has a PhD in Horribleness

Burning things is fun and useful!  

Send a message via AIM to Subzeroace

Hmm, awhile back I was on a horror movie kick. I don't really remember many of them, but the only one I ended up getting a copy of was The Ring. I love that movie, I also got the short "Rings" that happens between The Ring and Ring Two with it ^^