Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community

Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/index.php)
-   Way Off Topic (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What ticks you off? (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175)

Mr. Marshmallow 12-07-2007 05:47 PM

Racial conspirators

I'm not a racist but I think some people think too many people are. There's this black woman at my university and I was about ready to rip my ears off at hearing this completely ignorant barrel load of crap about how about some BIG movies that were made were stolen from black writers.

Apparently Terminator, The Matrix, and National Treasure were all stolen from black writers or something. Even if there's ANY truth of that, I get so freaking pissed when people assume just because I am white, everything is handed to me and that I didn't earn my scholarship to my school, that it was given to me.

Why? Because I'm a "preppy, white genius nerd" GOD that really bugged me. I'm the least cockiest person I know, but I have enough respect in my own abilities to believe I made it to this school by my BRAINS and my brains alone. I don't deny the possibility that it has happened with some students before.

I also don't deny, there are people who are racist and do things like that to whites and blacks, I just don't believe they are EVERYWHERE like this lady made it sound like. What's the point in even getting up in the morning if everything that happens to you is perceived as some secretive plot to destroy you?

Medikor 12-07-2007 06:22 PM

Right on, Mr.M! Just from talking with you on this board I know that you are one intelligent individual and earned your way into school through your own effort and merits.:D

Partymember 12-07-2007 06:32 PM

okay, if i was going to lie about having movies stiolen from me i would at least lie about good ones.

maybe i should go around telling people that "Roots" was stolen from me 8D

Nathander 12-07-2007 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Partymember (Post 66336)
okay, if i was going to lie about having movies stiolen from me i would at least lie about good ones.

You don't think The Terminator, National Treasure, or the ORIGINAL Matrix were good movies? That ticks me off. 8D

Other things that tick me off:

The Saying: Humans are Smart, People are Stupid -
The correct saying, really, would be individual humans are stupid, people are REALLY stupid.

Vending Machines -
The prices on vending machines where I live are going up. That is nonsense. I demand they stay the same.

Richard Dawkins
Pat Robertson

Fanfiction.net -
Right now, it's really ticking me off. No matter what I put in, it takes me to a friggin' dictionary. I know the people who run FF.net haven't exactly done their best to keep their site running well at times, but this is ridiculous. While we're on the topic....

Fanfiction Authors -
I myself am one, and I recognize that a lot of fanfic authors aren't this way, but there are so many who are so incredibly self-righteous its sickening. I'm especially irked by those who believe that they've created a work of art of some kind with their writing. I like writing fanfiction, but I'm not deluded enough to think anyone would ever view what I write as truly meaningful or comparable to an actual novel. Now, there are some genuinely great fanfics out there; but at the same time, there are several that are simply parodies of OTHER series within that genre, or utterly meaningless stories meant to promote an author's preferred views while offering nothing else. Fluff and sentimentality is great in small doses, but those attributes alone don't make for great long stories.

People who tell me I'm bitter -
Trust me, I know. 8D

P.S.: About the claim that "The Matrix" was stolen from an African-American writer, I can already disprove that. The original "Matrix" was obviously stolen, or as the Wachowski siblings would try to put it, "inspired", by the writings of Philip K. Dick.

Mr. Marshmallow 12-07-2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathander (Post 66341)
P.S.: About the claim that "The Matrix" was stolen from an African-American writer, I can already disprove that. The original "Matrix" was obviously stolen, or as the Wachowski siblings would try to put it, "inspired", by the writings of Philip K. Dick.

I don't believe anything is as simple and clean as "stolen". When I think stolen I think taking someone's purse or your car or something, to me, getting ideas from other ideas isn't stealing because in a way, you can say EVERYTHING we do, make, and sell is stealing.

Every single TV show, movie, song, and book was inspired by something else. Every big movie director or novelist like J.K. Rowling got their ideas from something else, be it many things or just one thing, everyone gets inspired by everyone else, its a fact of life, all our ideas can be construed to be someone else's.

Matrix can be construed to stolen ideas from The Terminator, Digimon can be construed as Pokemon clone despite the fact the 2 are VERY different, the TV show Moonlight can be construed as stealing from the show Angel and blah, blah, blah. We all get our ideas here and there from this and that, there's no artist in this world that can honestly say no one or nothing inspired them or gave them ideas.

Nathander 12-07-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Marshmallow (Post 66343)
I don't believe anything is as simple and clean as "stolen". When I think stolen I think taking someone's purse or your car or something, to me, getting ideas from other ideas isn't stealing because in a way, you can say EVERYTHING we do, make, and sell is stealing.

Every single TV show, movie, song, and book was inspired by something else. Every big movie director or novelist like J.K. Rowling got their ideas from something else, be it many things or just one thing, everyone gets inspired by everyone else, its a fact of life, all our ideas can be construed to be someone else's.

Matrix can be construed to stolen ideas from The Terminator, Digimon can be construed as Pokemon clone despite the fact the 2 are VERY different, the TV show Moonlight can be construed as stealing from the show Angel and blah, blah, blah. We all get our ideas here and there from this and that, there's no artist in this world that can honestly say no one or nothing inspired them or gave them ideas.

I agree, especially considering I was kidding with that part of that post. I know that didn't get across very well, but my sense of humor doesn't get across well in real life either. :bloosmirk:

AerostarMonk 12-07-2007 09:50 PM

Actually, The Matrix borrows from many sources, however the one most prevalent is Dark City starring Rufus Sewell. As for the Terminator it was apparently stolen from Harlan Ellison. But I don't put too much stock in that. If you believe what Harlan Ellison says he'll tell you that he pretty much fathered modern science-fiction.

Sparky 12-07-2007 10:12 PM

Some new seller on eBay is selling t-shirts with one of SynDuo's beautiful Foster's Cast designs on them. :terrence: If people are going to infringe on copyright, they need to either use OFFICIAL images (so they're only stealing from one party) or provide their own! SD never set out to break any laws and now some &%*^% is using him as a springboard to do it. Some people have NO class.

One Radical Dude 12-07-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky (Post 66348)
Some new seller on eBay is selling t-shirts with one of SynDuo's beautiful Foster's Cast designs on them. :terrence: If people are going to infringe on copyright, they need to either use OFFICIAL images (so they're only stealing from one party) or provide their own! SD never set out to break any laws and now some &%*^% is using him as a springboard to do it. Some people have NO class.

He showed me the link. Duo doesn't deserve any of this mess. :edmad:

Sparky 12-07-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One Radical Dude (Post 66349)
He showed me the link. Duo doesn't deserve any of this mess. :edmad:

I just asked for legal advice on a law forum I'm a member of, see what real lawyers have to say on the subject. I *will* contact the CN lawyers if that would help. I gots me connections. :P