Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community

Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/index.php)
-   Way Off Topic (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What ticks you off? (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175)

Sparky 04-30-2008 07:52 PM

*cough* Um...something like that happened to me, only I was the friend who couldn't find the time to chat (actually this was when I first moved Never Forgotten to it's own server and was busy setting up the new vBulletin, so I was honestly busy and stressed). A few months later, my friend had passed away without me ever having found the time to talk to her.

So. :macwor:

Lynnie 04-30-2008 08:11 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, Sparky. :bloosad: As for mine though, I haven't heard more than five full sentences from her in the past four or so years. She still likes trying to live the life of an active teenager, and is very social. I just don't know. After so many years, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth my time and effort to even try to keep our friendship going. :P

Sparky 04-30-2008 08:16 PM

Well, I dropped my best friend for about half my life when I realised our relationship had degenerated into her only contacting me when she wanted me to make something for her; I also came to see that she was rather manipulative and abusive, which I could only see after spending so much time away from her. Hopefully your relationship with the friend in question isn't like that! :/

(I'm expecting to run into her at Comic-Con some year, possibly wearing the Princess Leia costume I made her, and thereby will ensure a very awkward moment from which I hope my staff will save me.)

Lynnie 04-30-2008 08:33 PM

I had a very similar falling out with another dear friend of mine from jr. high. Now days I think of her as no more than an acquaintance. It's sad, but they're not worth our time, and we deserve better. So don't regret it.

My first friend mentioned doesn't contact me only when she wants a favor, that's true. She can be manipulative, though. She went through a very rough patch in life many years ago, during which her whole family and all her friends (including me) gave her support and love and even money. Ever since then, (10+ years later) she still tries to "play it" sometimes. I don't think she's as bad as she use to be, though. At 30 years old, I think she's finally growing out of the "teeny bopper" mentality. 8D

Dang, what is with some of our friends?? :terrconf:

Cassini90125 04-30-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnie (Post 77604)
Dang, what is with some of our friends?? :terrconf:

There was one couple I knew years ago that I thought were friends. We had some good times together; unfortunately, I was the one who paid for the good times. They took advantage of the fact that I was lonely and have a generous nature and managed to nickel-and-dime me out of roughly four thousand dollars. There's no way I can recover it, either, despite having a collection of receipts; they can claim it was all gifts. When I finally wised up and cut them off, they stopped calling. Friends? Ha. The (deleted) even had the nerve to call me late last year, acting all friendly and everything, and claiming they'd been kicked out of their hotel and were living in their car, could they borrow twenty bucks? I think they were in fact in serious financial trouble at that point, otherwise why would they be desperate enough to call me? Too bad for them. I told them to go to hell and hung up.

Frankie_4_Prez 04-30-2008 08:56 PM

Whoa, 4-grand? Try Benjamin-and-Grant instead of nickel-and-dime ::)

Some very serious "Affair Weather Friends" indeed.

Sparky 04-30-2008 09:33 PM

Reminds me of the time I promised to buy dinner for a couple if they helped me move my couch to my new apartment. They had a huge van. Well, we used the van; she drove and he was the passenger. That was ALL they did to "help". My roomie and I did all the lifting and moving. Then we went to the restaurant and they ordered the most expensive things on the menu, which in any decent person's book of manners is an extremely tacky thing to do. (And they had their kid with them.) They weren't the greatest "friends" anyways; I drove way out there (about an hour after I had moved) to babysit because the mom wasn't feeling well, and they gave me absolutely nothing in return (like, no favor in return, or even some of the McDonald's he brought home and they proceeded to devour in front of me until I awkwardly excused myself).

Imaginary Light 05-01-2008 07:12 AM

Heh, there sure are some...um, let's say *rude* "friends" out there. Reading all of your stories reminds me of a former friend who really started ticking me off back in 7th grade. We were inseperable, the best of friends. 7th grade rolled around, and oh, I guess she decided she was too *cool* for me. We'd get into fights all the time over stupid stuff she'd start. Like, she got her first boyfriend back then, and then she confronted me, saying that I liked him, and how dare I, I shouldn't have a crush on my best friend's boyfriend! Um...yeah, I didn't like him at all, so I have no idea what her problem was.

But yeah...after that rough year, she'd call me everyday during the summer to get together to do stuff. Then when the school year came, she stopped talking to and hanging out with me. Then summer would come, and she'd call everyday again. Then we both ended up cutting contact from eachother all together. I figured it was for the best. We'd see eachother at school, and not even acknowledge one another. I'm now a freshman in college, and I guess she wants to be friends again now, after all these years, because she's taken the liberty of adding me on both myspace and facebook. Whatever, I added her back, but let's face it. It's never going to be the same.

Sparky 05-01-2008 08:12 AM

That story reminds me of my friend Penny in middle school. In seventh grade she was not particularly attractive or fashionable, and we got along fine. Then she came back after the summer with about half the acne (it had been really bad) and wearing designer clothes and she became the worst snob I'd ever met. (Do you remember Guess? jeans in the 80's? She had a pair of the really expensive ones; she wore them every day and she was like, a school hero.) My school was divided up into four "teams" per grade and the teams would compete academically and physically in contests and events etc. Penny and I were both on the same team. She sabotaged an event once so her bf's team won (when we were definitely going to win), which was pretty sleazy. Then they broke up and she started a club with his other exes and they acted pretty horrid in public.

Lol, I guess I have had some messed-up friends. 8D But I'm sure I'm no prize, either.

Frankie_4_Prez 05-01-2008 08:42 AM

:herriman: Humans can be so cruel...

That's why everybody needs an imaginary friend! Yay, imaginaries :bloogrin: :smed: :D ;)