Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community

Never Forgotten: a Foster's Home Community (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/index.php)
-   Way Off Topic (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What ticks you off? (http://www.fosters-home.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1175)

some guy you dont know 03-06-2008 03:11 PM

my sister. i believe with 98.86% of my being she is the antichrist. and she is making today a day to prove it.

>:[

Nathander 03-06-2008 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekylljuice (Post 72829)
To be honest, I've always had a slight problem with that quotation, because Bart's assumption that the entertainment you see on TV comes entirely free is, as far as I can see, just plain wrong. I mean, you've got to actually pay for the purchase of the TV set in the first place. Then there's the matter of paying a monthly TV lisence, satellite subscriptions, electricity bills to keep it running, etc, etc. It's also a good idea to have invested in some kind of decent home security system, in order to protect your TV from potential burglars who might want to pinch it, and then when your set inevitably breaks down at some point throughout its lifetime, you'll have done well to set a little money aside in order to keep the repairman happy. All in all it stikes me as being a pretty costly business. They did go for a pretty similar statement in the early stages of the Simpsons Movie, and for the reasons stated above, I didn't find it terribly convincing. Frankly, I think that an evening out at the cinema would be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I don't necessarily disagree with your point, BTW. I just find that particular quotation a bit questionable.

Point well made. I can't really refute that.

Anyway, time for my rants....

Nihilism:

This is possibly one of the stupidest conceivable philosophies to live your life around. Maybe I'm being too rude about it, but it's basically a way to simply say "I give up" in a philosophical manner. Unfortunate, really.

That....actually it for the moment. I can't think of anything else to bitch about at the moment, oddly enough.

Ridureyu 03-06-2008 11:38 PM

But if not for nihilism, where will Final Fantasy get its villains from?

Cassini90125 03-07-2008 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridureyu (Post 73055)

Oh, the answers I could give for this... 8D :bendy:

jekylljuice 03-07-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathander (Post 73036)
Nihilism:

This is possibly one of the stupidest conceivable philosophies to live your life around. Maybe I'm being too rude about it, but it's basically a way to simply say "I give up" in a philosophical manner. Unfortunate, really.

I would have to very strongly disagree, if only because nihilism has provided the basis for a whole wealth of beautiful literature, or at least a whole wealth of beautiful literature which lends itself perfectly to nihilistic interpretation. Pretty much everything by Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot, Endgame, Happy Days, etc) comes to mind. As an English literature student, I cannot ignore that.

Ridureyu 03-07-2008 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassini90125 (Post 73057)
Oh, the answers I could give for this... 8D :bendy:

Okay, let me rephrase.

If not for nihilism, where would we get the villains from Final Fantasy IV, V, VI, VII, VIII (KuRzE aLl SeEdZ!), IX, and probably XII, although I have no clue how that one ends.

jekylljuice 03-07-2008 04:42 AM

I feel more than a little nervous in saying it, and I certainly don't want to generate unrest, but occasionally, this very thread.

I regularly check it, partly out of morbid curiosity, and partly because on the whole, it's a very interesting place which enables us to vent our frustrations, find mutual irritations, and, at best, share a good joke at their expense. Nonetheless, there are occasions when I think people take it a bit too far, are a notch too aggressive in asserting their opinions, border upon somewhat dangerous subject matter (politics, personal beliefs, etc, which I'm glad that NF encourages the general evasion of), and make sweeping judgements about huge groups of people as a whole, perhaps insensitive to the fact that they're liable to wind up genuinely offending someone. I want to emphasise that it is not my intention to point fingers, and I'm certainly not talking about anyone in particular, but I am starting to feel increasingly uneasy when checking out this thread. Naturally, I'm under no obligation to keep on reading and participating in it, and I can forsee there coming a time in which I'll just decide to make things easier by steering clear of this thread altogether. Maybe that would be for the best. Again, I hope that folks will forgive me for this post and understand that I am coming from this position neither as an argumentative person nor as a trouble-maker, I am simply posting it (in, I feel, a civil enough manner) because the title of this thread is "What Ticks You Off", and this is indeed what ticks me off at times. :macwor:

Nathander 03-07-2008 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jekylljuice (Post 73062)
I would have to very strongly disagree, if only because nihilism has provided the basis for a whole wealth of beautiful literature, or at least a whole wealth of beautiful literature which lends itself perfectly to nihilistic interpretation. Pretty much everything by Samuel Beckett (Waiting for Godot, Endgame, Happy Days, etc) comes to mind. As an English literature student, I cannot ignore that.

If that's the case, then I've been proven wrong. I certainly apologize if I offended you. But at the same time, I'm an assh*le, so I guess I should stop being surprised when I offend someone.

jekylljuice 03-07-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathander (Post 73071)
If that's the case, then I've been proven wrong. I certainly apologize if I offended you. But at the same time, I'm an assh*le, so I guess I should stop being surprised when I offend someone.

Nah, you haven't offended me, so please don't be too hard upon yourself. I also hope you don't feel that my above rant was directed at you personally...as I said, I wasn't really trying to implicate anyone specific. I wrote it because there are times when I feel that people are using this thread simply as a place to be generally condemning and abusive about things they don't agree with or outlooks they don't subscribe to, and that they occasionally wander into some pretty troublesome areas in the process. If they want to do that, then I certainly can't stop them. It just doesn't make easy reading for me personally.

Medikor 03-07-2008 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridureyu (Post 73055)

Ha! You sir have made my day!8D That was easily the funniest thing I've read all week.:D